Monday, September 19, 2011

Roseolla Infantum

My baby doesn't do the ordinary in an ordinary way... even in getting sick she wants to do it her way  :P

Anyhow, the first time she wasn't feeling well was when she got a mild case of HFM...yes, hands, foot & mouth disease... she didn't really have a temperature then... just felt slightly hot to the touch... what had worried me the most then was the possibility of ulcers in the mouth, which both my niece and nephew had suffered from... I was so distressed... but checking out 2 doctors, they assured me that she was just feeling under the weather.. I was so relieved! Until of course the red dots appeared at her feet and hands... classic case of HFMD... Silly doctors! However, we were lucky that she didn't suffer from any ulcers... the dots came and went and she was all fine and dandy again...

Recently Jellybean got sick... on 9/9/11 (nice date huh :p  ) .. she started off with a hot fever... I was shocked when I woke up for work that her body was burning hot... her temp showed she was burning at 38.6 deg... I was immediately worried but seeing how the peads were all still closed we decided to cool her down with the Bye Bye fever strip and some cold compress... a visit to the clinic and the doc confirmed that she has the viral fever, Roseola Infantum... it's apparently common and would fall in with the measles family. Hmmm... I wonder where she got it from... tsk tsk....

The doc showed me a slight rash on her tummy and told me that soon more rash will appear and the fever would eventually go off once all the rash came out. At this age... and a recent encounter with a doc for her constipation problem (more on that later), Jellybean has come to hate doctors... so this visit was brief as she could stop crying and screaming... the only way I was able to calm her down was to actually step out... and I mean all the way out of the clinic...

Her fever lasted for 3 days 3 nights... one minute it was hot... over 38 deg and the next it came down again... mainly I guess because of the meds that I gave her. I tried to not give too much to her as I'm not sure if it's all that good piling her high with paracetamol... but when the fever got too high.. I'll give her a dose... all within the time frame of course... not more than 1 dose with in 6 hours... There was a time that I was very worried as her temp would not go down... even with the meds and cold compress... after around 10 hours of high temp... her temp finally went back to normal... *sigh*

Darling baby was an angel though all through the fever... she still drank and ate... so there was thankfully that worry put to rest... as for the rash? It came with a vengeance on the 4th day! her whole body and face was covered with red dots (more on her body)... but the rash, Alhamdulillah on ly lasted for about 2-3 days... after that it was gone.

All in all it was a tiring journey... wish I could take it all away and her healthy always... but I guess it's good that her body has been exposed to all this germs and viruses and hopefully she'll be stronger to fight other infections...

:)

No comments: