Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Host - A Review

2013 was a 'soft' beginning... though many days seems random and routine... I have continued in my 'bookworm' journey from 2012... hahahah.. though am struggling to find a replacement of my absorption in A Song of Fire & Ice series... in case you're thinking... "huh?"... it's the books behind the HBO series Game of Thrones.

I was just walking through Kinokuniya in, where else but KLCC, when I came across an aisle marked "Movie Tie Ins"... and flipping through the books I came across The Host by Stephanie Meyers. I have all of her Twilight series and it has been sitting prettily in my library for the past year... reading the summary behind intrigued me enough to make a purchase and reading the first chapter hooked me.

At first thought when you imagine the book you're thinking.. oh no... aliens? Puh-lease! But The Host is more than that... the alien element (that I must admit is the core of the book) is subtle and not at all the X-Files kind. Hahaha don't be afraid to try new things... and it has wonderfully surprised me... and though the book is shorter than the ones that have been my constant companion for 2012, it has filled me with all kinds of feelings and was so real in its depths of feelings...

In brief, Mel is taken and became a host for the alien Wanderer. Yet Mel's will is so strong that she was still in essence alive in the body which Wanderer experience conflicting thoughts and feelings. So she searches through the dessert trying to find Mel's one true love and kin (her younger bro) as the feelings of love is so strong it became Wanderer's own. Finally finding those they love, she had to go through hurdles as the colony of last humans fought against having an alien with them. It is story of love... and the everyday emotions we face... unrequited love... first stirrings of love... acceptance of those different from us... fear and survival...

Seeing one character die brought me to tears... and the urgency of the raids to secure sustenance and medical supplies... and of course that last moment when Wanderer said goodbye... oh my goodness... as I desperately flipped the page... I honestly was gasping at 6.30am and just wiping away tears...

I don't know why I love the book so much... and am looking forward to the movie coming out next month. But I must say... so far in a long while... this has been one of the best books that I have read... Not the heavy stuffs in the likes of World With No End and Game of Thrones that fairly dives into your imagination stores... but the book is real enough... and light enough that just transport you seamlessly into it's world...

;)

No comments: